VECTOR is the acronym of ‘A Vocational and Educational Curriculum Design from a Sector Skills Alliance on Tourism’ and is funded by the programme ERASMUS+
VECTOR has the mission to define a professional profile of “Destination Manager” that is capable of proposing strategies aiming at managing, enhancing and promoting destinations in an integrated perspective.
By using the approach of creating an OER (Open Educational Resource) implementing a complete DM training curriculum evaluated and recognized through the ECVET system, VECTOR project aims to have both a short term and a medium/long term impact.
In the short term it will impact students, VETs, SMEs and Public bodies thanks to the availability of the new DM curriculum.
In the medium and long term the whole system of actors will benefit from the competences required in a changing industry like tourism, in order to identify and fill gaps, ensuring a better match.
It is expected that VECTOR will change the former situation into a new one, where tourism employees better fit into the market needs, increasing the overall quality of the sector.
The consortium is constituted by 12 partners.
The project started in November 2015 and will last for 3 years.
In this sense, the project aims at defining a high skilled professional profile of “destination manager”, a profile that is capable of proposing strategies aiming at managing, enhancing and promoting tourist destinations in an integrated perspective and, secondly, develop a joint training curriculum for DM defining the minimum requirement of the course according with the ECVET standards (learning outcomes, units of learning outcomes approach, etc.) with the objective to decrease the shortage of qualified professionals in the tourism sector.
- Explore the skills needs in tourism and exchange good practices, knowledge and experience among partnersregarding the destination manager ability to manage, enhance and promote tourist destinations;
- Develop an innovative and joined training curriculum related to the Destination Manager profile using theECVET approach and EQAVET principles to be included in an online course (e-learning platform);
- Organize a pilot phase in Spain and Italy involving 24 trainees to test some of the most crucial andinnovative modules included in the DM training curriculum. Other units/modules of the e-learning platformwill be tested at distance with the support of tutors;
- Draft an EQF based set of educational standards for destination managers based on project findings, oncurrent European VET developments (with a strong focus on labor market needs), on the characteristics ofthis occupation and, consequently, define a qualification profile for this occupation describing Knowledge,Skills and Competencies in the tourist field achieving a 5th level in the related EQF system;
- Validate the Destination Manager profile and related training curriculum.
PILOT COURSE FOR DESTINATION MANAGER
From 27 to 31 March 2017 the first pilot course on Destination Managaer took place at the Chamber of Commerce of Valaldolid, in the spanish region of Castilla y León. On Friday 31 a Memorandum of Understanding was signed by Spanish authorities responsible for education and tourism field. Check out the entire program for the week here, read the news on our website, on the website of Chamber of Commerce of Valladolid and of Tribuna Valladolid, or watch the news on a tv broadcast channel in Castilla and León.